Bradford Council Countryside Service Team have restored and resurfaced 370 metres of pathway through Heber’s Ghyll Wood. Workers from the Countryside Service Team, assisted by volunteers, also carried our improvements to the drainage, and erected new wood benches on the path. The cost of materials and hire of plant was paid for by The Friends of Ilkley Moor.
In 1893, the Ilkley Local Board bought Ilkley Moor from Marmaduke Francis Middleton for the then enormous sum of £13,500. The reason for the purchase was that there was seen to be a conflict between the shooting interests (represented by Middleton) and the rights of the public to enjoy the Moor. That decision resonates today.
These notes cover the whole of Rombalds Moor, not just the area that is the concern of the Friends of Ilkley Moor, as any dog walker starting a walk on Ilkley Moor, may easily end up on one of the adjacent moors.